4/21/13

A Post About My Next Several Posts

These next few posts are going to be about each of my children individually.  I think that Autism Acceptance Month is the perfect time to focus on each child, their personalities, strengths and struggles to show that autism is part of who they are but does not define them.  There is a lot of controversy as to what the causes of autism are, and I don't have any answers; however I am going to mention each child's vaccination history because what information I have to offer is simply fact.  I am not saying that vaccines are the cause or not the cause, simply what our experiences are.

Whatever the causes are, it is time to act rather than point fingers.  Crying and blaming is getting tired, not to mention the fact that it gives people with autism the message that there is something wrong with them.  This needs to stop.  Someone who cannot speak can still understand what those around them are saying and feeling and needs to feel loved and included, even if they express their feelings differently.  It's time to change our way of thinking and accept that a large percentage of our population has different wiring and yet have to deal with us damn neurotypicals!

This is not to say that life is always rosy or that my children don't have difficulties, but I choose to embrace them for who they are and try to help them build upon their strengths.  I have found that emphasizing their strengths tends to minimize their struggles and difficult behaviors, and if I am not providing enough support their behavior becomes more challenging (translation: destructive!).  This, to me, shows that they want to be included and educated just like everyone else, and deserve to be heard and understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment