4/5/10

A voice for Aidan?

I have read about autistic people who are able to use communication devices to help them speak, and dreamed that one day Aidan would be able to speak or to use something like that. However, the only ones I knew about required typing, and he's unable to use letters. Recently I found out about Dynavoxtech, a company that makes these devices using Mayer Johnson images, and I'm really excited (he is already familiar with Mayer Johnson images because they use that system at school). Another thing that I didn't know is that sometimes insurance covers it, and the company will help submit the paperwork. I hope that this will be the case, because communication has been such a struggle for him.
I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but if we are able to get him to use this I think it will make all the difference in his life. There are so many times when he couldn't communicate that were so emotionally difficult for him, and as a parent it is such a helpless feeling. He has so much personality, and I so often wonder what he's thinking about. He's showing more and more interest in communication and is so wanting to be a part of things that I will never give up hope that one day he'll have a voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment